[meteorite-list] Re: Odour of meteorites

lakewind at infionline.net lakewind at infionline.net
Thu Apr 20 14:01:19 EDT 2006

Hi,
I have a piece of the famous bubble-gum smelling meteorite NWA 096, which
to me smelled more like perfume. That was a few years ago; sadly the smell
is gone. Irons, especially if they are rusting, have a pungent, acidic
odor. Chondrites generally smell "dusty" to me with a shades of earthiness
like rocks under hot sun. Occasionally you can smell the metal in them too,
again especially if there is significant rusting. A slice of Allende I got
from Bob Haag years back still smells like a strange mix of gunpowder and
car exhaust.
My two nosefuls (yuck, sorry ;-)
Bob