[meteorite-list] RE:"Aventura del Monte Meteorite"

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Fri Apr 14 16:12:56 EDT 2006

Hello Steve,

The seller is not interested in ending the auction and I could do a nickel
test and etch it myself in front of him if he would.

My scratch test was not done on the crust, you are right, that would tell
nothing.  There is a small break on one edge I did not photograph....or at
least the photograph did not come out, where I tested it such.  One needs to
be careful on stones that when you get a sample...it is of the meteorite.
Report my Covert article in MT a few years back for the reasoning here.

The sikhotes in our collection were rusty when found, have been cleaned and
have been painted.  This stone pulled out of the ground is rusting out the
triolite, if it is a meteorite, yet has no surface rust.  I also as I noted
I do not think Sikhote is a good example to compare to.  I have a couple
dozen Sikhotes that look like metal buttons.  Should I use those as examples
if I find metal buttons in a field tomorrow?

Now if it was slag, and the triolite inclusions are just where it released
it gases, then that would also explain why it has so many on top....yet none
on the different looking bottom.  And it would also exlpain why none of the
pitting appears to aligned in elongated forms...on any side or section.

But it might be a meteorite I as I have said.

I just think I need more information for a better opinion.  So I agree when
you say "You have to get a piece of metal. Cut and polish the face of the
fragment, etch and see what pattern emerges."  Or find the nickel %, to know
more, but the seller isn't interested.....perhaps some list member will buy
it and report to us more later.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas