[meteorite-list] # of mets per Meteoritical Bulletin

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Thu Apr 13 15:19:13 EDT 2006

Hi Mike F.,

> Thanks for the research.  I would propose that only non Antarctic
> meteorites count as supply, since Antarctic meteorites are not
> available.

I agree (which is the main reason I listed a separate column for them).

> In that case, the number per the Met Bul may have peaked 3 years ago!

Doesn't look that way.  Here are the stats on just the non-Antarctic
meteorites in the Bulletins:

Year  MB   #   3YR Avg.
----  --  ---  --------
1996  80  136     --
1997  81  161   250.0
1998  82  453   346.3
1999  83  425   458.7
2000  84  498   547.0
2001  85  718   569.7
2002  86  493   687.0
2003  87  850   733.3
2004  88  857   821.7
2005  89  758     --

If the number of non-Antarctic finds exceed 850 in MB #90, then the
3-year running average will still be on the rise.  I guess we'll
know soon!  --Rob