[meteorite-list] From McCarthy Taylor: What is this rock?

Impactika at aol.com Impactika at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 21:48:39 EDT 2005

McCarthy is having troubles posting to the List so he has asked me to
forward this.
He really would like some opinions on this  "rock"
Thanks.

This  post is not an offical "Field Trip Report" but a request to help
identify a suspect rock found from my latest trip.

The trip recovered 4 stones, 2 of which are meteorites, 1 which I
thought was till I cut it open and its the topic of this posting, and  a
fourth that is probably a mesosider-wrong, but tested positive  for
nickel and will be sent to a lab soon.

The stone in question is found in the Plainview strewnfield, attracts
a magnet well, and has metal flakes.  Hence, I acquired it from  the
finder.  Once I cut it open I found no chrondrules and white  matrix.
Also, I found tiny bubbles here and there.

Does anyone recognize it or seen anything like it?  Any ideas what it
is?  Meteorwrong?

_www.westernwelltool.com/Labor_day_trip_05/05-003.jpg_
(http://www.westernwelltool.com/Labor_day_trip_05/05-003.jpg)

A good view of the metal pattern: