[meteorite-list] 100 year old meteorite story from Sweden

Ingo Herkstroeter metopaster at gmx.de
Wed Sep 7 05:32:43 EDT 2005

>Hi Folks!

> "If this is the stone I'm thinking of, Zenzen,
> who was head of the Sweden Geological Survey
> or Museum, or equivalent official and a prominent
> geologist, wrote extensively on it. The witness
> account is perfectly consistently with "the real
> thing" and the stone is fossilerous limestone."

I think this indicates a new question: Are sedimentary meteorites
possibible?

People mostly don´t think about this problem and so this problem don´t
exist! We all knew, that we have rocks from Mars, but this rocks are "only"
igneous! Why most people don´t accept, that sedimantary rocks could be hard
enough to survive a impact (and this is the main problem) and become
meteorites? I don´t know how many of you ever piced up a hammer and go out
in the field to have a look to terrestrial rocks. I´ve made this since I´m 8
years old and I´ve seen a lot of sed. rocks hard enough to do so. There are
sed. rocks on the Mars that´s sure, so why not a Mars sandstone or
limestone?

And what´s about planetary metamorphic rocks (not shock met.).............?

Just a few wild thoughts

Ingo/Germany