[meteorite-list] Re: New Orleans

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 05:01:15 EDT 2005

Hello Michael,

Great to know that even with the delete key, you  stuck that foot in the
mouth.  Actually, your reply was perfectly  understandable so I am sure you are
the only one worried by now.  The  American Red Cross does have the specific
agenda to help in crises for the  purpose of helping.  When a group of people get
together like the meteorite  list it is a fairly good generic choice unless
one of the main benefactors has a  big preference - in which case they should
have some liberties!  e.g.,  Perhaps someone could afford to add to the raffle
something substantial and  request that 10% of the take go to the Samaritans.

A little internet  surfing seems to show the Evangelical Christian
organization you propose  indeed is quite efficient.  Furthermore, spiritual need may
not be  addressed by the Red Cross (the cross is not a religious symbol). In the
Deep  South bible belt hit area, the organization you propose can probably
help a lot,  as could any donation to a trustworthy church group for the p
articular faith  demographics of that region.  So I think you are right that
especially for  folks wishing to augment  the relief effort with Jesus and $15
Bibles will have an efficient way to do this.  It is a perfect  suggestion for
individual contributions for those wishing for a healthy mixture  of physical and
religious healing, much of which will go through local churches,  which are
mostly volunteer (hence, able to beat the Am. Red Cross on overhead,  BTW, the
Red Cross has collected over $310 million for Katrina, so if they waste  waste
$5 million, that still leaves over 98.4%).  I hope listmembers  individually
do boldly use the faith included option if they can help a  little more to
raise the spirits amid the devastation in the land of Jazz and  Gospel songs.  I
would venture that the Red Cross is a great choice if the  major contributors
have no second thoughts.  I don't think Michael was  suggesting a change in the
Meteorite Community Collective effort earmarking of  funds, I could be
mistaken, at this point the joint work of the organizers and  participants in this
project are superbly on track in my opinion, and there  won't ever be enough.

Here are the quotes I lifted from the website you  provided:

Samaritan's Purse is a Christian organization committed to  spreading the
Good News of Jesus Christ through emergency relief and evangelism.  All employees
must adhere to our Statement of Faith.

Samaritan's Purse  is working in partnership with local churches to ensure
that spiritual needs are  met, too. Our teams share the love of Jesus Christ,
pray with residents, and  present them with a Bible when the work is completed.

Here are some ways  your gift can help victims of Hurricane Katrina:

$9 can provide a case of  drinking water
$15 can purchase a Bible for a hurting family
$25 can  furnish a sheet of roofing plywood
$90 can provide enough heavy-duty plastic  to weatherproof a roof

Saludos, Doug

==================================
Michael B. wrote:
I hope Geoff,  Paul & Jim all accept my sincere  apology.
I made the previous post  prior to reading they had
proposed very generous acts of charity via  the Red Cross.
These are 3 of the finest people I know and I would  have
worded my post differently had I been aware of their acts
of  kindness.
I most certainly did  not mean to dampen any enthusiasm
or in any way diminish the meaningfulness  of their actions.
Now that I have  crammed my foot down my mouth and
it is up to the knee, I humbly do suggest a  different method
of help that will result in getting "more bang for the buck"  to
the people who most need it..... but I am sorry for the lack of
tact  due to my ignorance of previous actions  taken.
When I get back from being  away from my computer,
I tend to respond to posts in the order they came in -  not
always the best, as this case so  aptly  demonstrates.
Sorry,  guys.
Michael