[meteorite-list] OT: History of the word DISASTER= negative influences of the star(s)

drtanuki drtanuki at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 11:02:33 EDT 2005

List,
  After writing my last post concerning disaster
response it dawned on me that the word disaster
contains the word "star", ASTER.  So, with some
looking in the Dictionary of Word Origins by
Merriam-Webster I found that the word first came into
common use during the time of Shakespeare and was used
by him in several of his lines.  The word disaster
comes from the meaning of "negative influences of the
star(s)" and had its orgins in the study of astrology.
  Dirk Ross...Tokyo