[meteorite-list] Thanksgiving find November 24,1995

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 02:53:01 EST 2005

Dear Twink and the rest of the friendly  crew,

Thank you most kindly for sharing that anecdote with us.  Gold  Basin is a
special strewn field.  While so much excitement is gripping the  meteorite folks
now with the massive finds of late, Gold Basin surely was a  delicious Turkey
Shoot for a lot of fortunate people.  'twas in a time when  an "expedition"
meant a good pair of walking shoes, not forgetting to charge the  batteries,
checking the connections on the headphone jack, and in my mind, to be  prepared
to pitch a tent under the gleaming night.  Oh, of course! Some  nice company
and enough money to split the $1.39-a-gallon gas for the  trip.

Imagine!  Information freely given, enthusiastic hearts  sharing, and a long
fun-filled weekend...the participation and pleasure of  digging up the
thrilling meteorite of our very own with the kindest group of  discoverers.

It is hard to truly appreciate the significance of Gold  Basin in today's orb
of legally and competitively painful morass.  But I  just took a step back,
closed my eyes, and pictured the events you so  be-dutifully detailed.  And I
realized the true value of my little Gold  Basin friends that I got to take
home with me...

Congratulations on  showing us what meteorite hunting is really all about.  I
isn't about  bigger, not rarer; nor costlier, nor prettier...not even about
possesing.   I haven't any doubt - the glowing spirit of Gold Basin will
sparkle in the eyes  of future generations of meteorite friends for many years to
come, when we are  all gone, and our meteorites are once again stellar dust.

Gracias y  Felicidades, Doug

Twink M. wrote:
It occurred to me today that  it was ten years ago when my friend and
neighbor Jim Kriegh asked me to take  care of his house and mail as he and
two friends were going to go metal  detecting for gold over the Thanksgiving
holiday.  They would be  celebrating with deli turkey sandwiches, according
to Jim.   He  told me that he and his friends John Blennert and John Martin
were going to  an area near Kingman, and showed me his topo map of the area
so Larry and I  would know where he would be hunting.  When Jim returned I
heard a tale  of strange hot rocks which sounded like gold but were not
gold.  He  ended up taking some to a scientist at the University of Arizona
who  confirmed that they were meteorites.  The name on the map was Gold
Basin.  Now you know the rest of the story.

Twink Monrad