[meteorite-list] RE: Ad - 77 Auctions Ending, Great Stuff!

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Nov 16 11:53:32 EST 2005

Christian A. wrote:

>Let me know if we use this list to discuss the matter of meteorites
>or if we use that list for fighting against each other ...

>We are members here from Europe and we are not award, we don't
>practice this way of life. I think I speak for many of the European  guys.
>Nobody, really nobody, and again really nobody of us is interested
>in this stuff.

Christian, trying to herd cats again?  On a  serious note, could you please
and most kindly repost the question on  carbonaceous chondrites vs.
rumurutiites and what answers you finally arrived at  - I hope that could be revisited,
especially if it went off list as you might be  suggesting.

Finally - How about a meteorite competition putting the  usually (???) well
behaved European guys vs. the frequently chaotic North  Americans guys to a
real test ... to see who comes up with the  best informative and most
entertaining answers.  That could be fun for  everyone.  Lots of fun.  One vote in favor
of the Meteorite Olympiad  (And a Meteorite-Bee for those of us enjoying
spelling and such).  Think  about it.  A nice way to promote the excitement of our
favorite theme and  happily burn some time that otherwise will inevitably be
used for  the contencious posts.
First submissions:
Where does the earth have diogenite-like material in the crust?  How  about
pallasitic material somewhere in the mantle...and at what depth is it  believed
still liquified according to what theory?  How do you spell  Ureilite and how
about a story on the man behind the name?  Biggest stone  strewn field?
Finest Thompson-Widmanstatten figures.  Smallest  country with a NomCom meteorite?
 What happens when you warm chondrules in  water in a vacuum?  Highest gold
content in a meteorite?  Most reduced  meteorite and theory on why?  Is a
meteorite more likely to appear at the  equator or at a pole and why?

I nominate Bernd and Sterling as judges, so probably they can't participate
in the first round.  Let the games begin.

Saludos, Doug
(enjoying living on top of one big mess of differentiated meteorites, but
they do tend to warp my mind!)