[meteorite-list] More on Brenham Story

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Thu Nov 10 23:38:22 EST 2005

Greetings All:

Well it's been a long, tiring, and exciting day. I offered to help
Steve handle the P.R. related to his find, so there have been a lot of
calls from TV stations and newspapers, and a lot of running around
today for me, and even more so for Steve. I just spoke with him. He got
back to his motel room and was able to read all your emails. I'm sure
your congratulations meant a lot to him, and I certainly enjoyed them.
It's great to be able to share this with friends and fellow
enthusiasts.

I received many private emails today from List members, and I apologize
for not answering them yet. I have been on the phone all day with CNN,
ABC, and multiple newspapers.

One request from Steve: anyone around the country who happens to see a
news story about the big Brenham, would you please email the details to
me (Geoff) off-List. We're trying to keep track of which cities have
aired the piece.

I now have the okay to say that I was up in Brenham with Steve for five
days while many of you were at the Munich show, though I was not
allowed to say anything to anyone until now. You can imagine how
difficult that was! I got to hang out with the big rock in person, and
we zoomed all over the strewn field on Steve's ATV and had many
adventures. Our good friend Dr. Art Ehlmann of the Monnig Gallery also
visited the strewn field and the big pallasite. It is definitely
oriented, but you cannot really tell from the first batch of photos, as
you're seeing the trailing end.

In Greensburg, KS, there is a charming little museum with Stockwell's
1,000 lb Brenham on display. The front of the museum proudly displays a
hand painted sign with shooting star and states that it is home to "THE
WORLD'S LARGEST PALLASITE."

We just couldn't resist. Steve made up a little handwritten sign that
said "2nd" and held it up in front of "Largest." Got photos, will
share.

Thanks to everyone who wrote emails of support to Steve. More news when
we have it.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.

Brenham photos: