[meteorite-list] R Chondrites and Magnetism

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue May 31 16:17:32 EDT 2005

Hola, Bernd, Tom, List, PS, I would like to add  to this, that the reason the
pyrrhotite mineral is magnetic is due precisely to  excess of Sulfur
(non-stoichiometric pyrrhotite).  Like troilite,  pyrrhotite loses its magnetism as it
becomes saturated with iron (i.e. the net  formula).  The fact that some are
not as magnetic as others could easily be  speculated to be because the
pyrrhotite is closer to stoichiometric (one iron to  one sulfur).  Thus, it is the
ABSENCE in the difficient iron Iron sulfide,  not the presence of iron that
probably contributes to the greater  magnetism!!

A surprising result until you consider that when all the  "holes" that could
have been filled by oxidized iron destroy the conditions for  magnetic moment
cancellation as is the case in troilite or "Iron saturated"  pyrrhotite...

Saludos, Doug

Doug wrote:
Bernd, as you rectify  Tom's synthesis of  everything thus far, to "*Some*
R-chondrites have  *j u s t* enough metal to be  attracted to a strong enough
magnet" -  that's not what you meant to say, I  cannot help believing.  I had

posted (and you also later cited) the  literature the paper describing  the
magnetism to the pyrrhotite which is about  5% of the weight  percent of the
material
at least in the type specimen.   You even  quoted O. Richard Norton's book,
which I will will also do, page   191:  "The pyrrhotite is magnetic giving
the
meteorites weak  magnetic  attraction."  The rest of Norton's comments and
yours
supports that there  is little or no reduced metal:

See once  again, Meteoritics V. 29, No. 2,  pp. 275-286 March 1994
"Mineralogy and  Chemistry of Rumuruti: The First  Meteorite Fall of the New
Chondrite  Group" by Schulze, H.; Bischoff, A.;  Palme, H.; Spettel, B.;
Dreibus,  G.; Otto, J.

It is clear to me that with  a strong enough magnet  whatever that means
funny
things can happen, but I think  you were more  focussed on why the rock is
attracted to a magnet in the  listmember  type tests (indeed why it is a
magnet,
too).  This  is due   according to the literature the pyrrhotite as best as I
can tell, which  I  wouldn't call metal, but just a magnetic mineral, causing
the
debil  magnetism of  the rock as a whole.

Thus, careful, as the literature  does support the  high oxidation levels,
but
it does not support that  the magnetism some list  members are observing as
being due to *j u s  t* enough metal, but rather  principally to the low
content
of the  magnetic pyrrhotite mineral, which is iron  "oxidized" by an excess
of
sulfur under oxidizing conditions.  Recal that  pyrrhotite is  magnetic but
troilite isn't, and troilite is stochiometric FeS -  i.e.,  when an equal or
excess of iron is present, and not the oxidative   reverse.  Of course you
may have
another source backing up the  magnetic  metal grains (which are in the trace
level per 1994  paper)?  If I have  missed something, it would be nice to
know
your thinking!  How much  susceptibiulity the hypothetical free  metal
contributes seems to be another  question with no support nor  quick and
dirty magnet
test.  I did notice  that you added "some"  which could mean one, but I don't
get
that that was your  thinking,  either...

And errrr... what's this about water in space   ;-)
Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 05/31/2005 2:01:22  PM  Mexico Daylight Time,
peregrineflier at npgcable.com  escribe:
"extensive aqueous  alteration on the R parent  body"

Water in space? That sounds like a whole  new subject! : )

Good grief, Tom

Thanks,  Tom
peregrineflier  <><