[meteorite-list] NPA 05-03-1935 Libyan Glass, Desert Yields Precious Stones

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Wed May 25 11:06:16 EDT 2005

Paper: The Deming Headlight
City: Deming, New Mexico
Date: Friday, May 3, 1935
Page: 8 (of 8)

Desert Yields Precious Stones

     Precious stones weighing as much as five pounds have been found in the
Libyan desert.  They are of a beautiful greenish-yellow color and extremely
hard.  It is believed that they were formed out of desert sand by the
terrific heat of a great aerolite or meteor which fell long ago in this
district.  Similar stones have been found around a meteorite crater at Wabar
Arabia.  There are supposed to be remains of a broken planet.  The crater is
similar tot he nineteen discovered in 1931 in the Central Australian dessert
blasted out by giant meteorites.  Some of these craters are more than 200
yards in diameter.  Scattered around are fragments of the meteorites,
composed of pure nickel and iron.

(end)

(Anne Black has some nice Libyan Glass on her website, www.impactika.com)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.