[meteorite-list] Fred Whipple and Harvey Nininger

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Thu May 19 03:07:58 EDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

Fred Whipple's file on Nininger, curated at the Smithsonian, is rather thin.
  Whipple wrote the Foreward in Nininger's autobiography "Find a Falling
Star" and Nininger talks kindly about him in the book.  I think it is fair
to say they were friends...or at least friendly.

Overall, Whipple's and Nininger's relation seems to me to be a lot like
Nininger and any one else that worked at the Smithsonian or like instiution.
  In other words Nininger woud make requests for opinions and generally
bounce ideal's off of Whipple.  Whipple, list most people Nininger did such
to, seemed to think Nininger was a little out there, I think you could say.
But he remained professional with Nininger at all times....from what I have
seen so far at least.

The following I which will try to post over the next few days is
correspondence and office notes, concerning what I have always seen referred
to as "Canyon Diablo Speroids".  Which is not exactly what Nininger wanted
to name them, as you will see in the first letter.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com