[meteorite-list] Fireball Lights Up Sky Over Finland

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 18 12:37:05 EDT 2005

http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1706999,00.html

'Fireball' lights up sky
news24.com
May 18, 2005

Helsinki - An exceptionally bright "fireball" was spotted late on
Tuesday slicing through the sky over Finland before exploding over
the country's border with Russia, the Finnish Astronomical
Association (URSA) said on Wednesday.

The phenomenon was witnessed by dozens of people in the eastern
part of the country.

"Our mathematicians have roughly calculated that the (fireball)
began its decent over our eastern border and ended in an explosion
over the Russian Karelia region," URSA newsletter editor Marko
Pekkola said.

Closer calculations will be needed to determine the exact route
taken by the "fireball", which was probably an incandescent
meteorite, Pekkola added.