[meteorite-list] Model Rockets and Moon Rocks was...13.5 kg lunar

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Sun May 15 17:24:12 EDT 2005

Hola Adam,

I need to add my support to Mark F and Darren's  openminded interpretation of
your negative assessment of the (lack of)  feasibility getting Lunar material
FOB Earth at a cost (mind you, not price)  below $5000 per gram.  The
optimistic figure starts at about $1 per POUND,  cheaper than any US domestic mail
product.

Mark has already mentioned the  mass catapult idea which certainly is
feasible and has numerous designs.   On such design taken seriously by NASA is said
to cost about one dollar per  pound to reach a cislunar geocentric orbital
location (Lagrangian: L1 for  example).  That is the orbital location materials
can be concentrated and  collected for reentry into Earth's atmosphere and sent
back will minimal energy  using airbraking technology that exists in a space
shuttle like set-up at worst,  and at best in very oblique chute/balloon entry.
 Or just chucking the  rocks at the Earth at nearly no extra charge forming
natural fusion crusts and  very fresh low cost witnessed fall lunaites.

The "mass driver" catapult  mentioned just uses a tubular set of circular
coils timed to become  electromagnets as a magnetized payload in a bucket passes
through them,  installed on the Moon with off the shelf modest technology to
accelerate the  bucket with 1 kilogram or so of material.  The many buckets in
the mass  escalator are recoverable and detach and are reused many many times,
providing  tons and tons of ejected material at its destination.  Material
slightly  overshot will probably fall to Earth as meteorites.  And the energy is
all  right there on the moon - electricity generated from solar cells to
power the  coils (electromagnets) which nudge the bucket ever faster through the
tube and  comfortably reach the necessary escape velocity.

The escape velocity of  the moon is much lower as Darren has reminded and
there is practically no  frictional slowing (drag), which on Earth causes most
entry difficulties, and  that the escape velocity is much lower.

On the Moon, it is only an escape  velocity 2400 m/s.  I am betting that many
list members can relate to that  in terms of model rocketry.  Ever wonder
whether that model rocket you  launched on Earth could be a space mission if
Launched from the Moon?  Here  are some calculations estimates I have made
regarding commercial hobby and  amateur model rocket engines.
Company - Engine - Est. Maximum  Velocity
Estes - D12 - 320 m/s
Apogee - F10 - 724 m/s
Aerotech - I65 -  955 m/s
Kosdan - K700 - 1118 m/s
Animal Motor Works - M2500 - 1404  m/s

So you can see, hobbyists (little and big kids like us) on the earth  are
already using engines are practically there, when a little Estes kit can do  14%
of Lunar escape velocity reaching 2.65 miles height on the Moon, but only
0.25 of a mile on Earth.  The AMW motor mentioned is two thirds of the way
there, but on Earth can only do a little over 2 miles height ... though if not  for
the atmosphere it would make it into space, but not escape.

Last May  a Hollywood stuntman actually did launch an amateur rocket into
space from the  US for the first time, though it went relatively unnoticed in the
shadow of the  X-prize multimillion dollar extravangaza.  So you can bet
these commercial  toy rockets and their engines are not limited by physics, but
rather the FAA,  etc.

So the technology and feasibility for the Moon is a given, as it its
reserves.  Now all we need is a reason.  How about high oil prices?  Lack of a
variety of economic metal reserves?  20 years may or many not be  the number but I
am guessing it is close!

One further metion right on the  Mark was the Lunar tourist (including
scientists)souvenier rocks stuffed in the  pockets and boots of people.  I believe
that is very true as well.   Didn't Ron just post how a professor asked NASA
for dust from the astronauts  boots of mixed Lunar origin on the site - and
didn't he get 100 grams of  it?

Saludos, Doug
PS Mark, The crazy value of meteorites from the Moon, is principally  because
they are from the Moon, not because they are meteorites.  Perhaps  the
craziness of collectors will prove without bound, but I am not too sure of  that as
perspectives change and novelty wears off on many.  And remember  that there
will probably be more than enough Lunar slag reentering the Earth  following
these points of discussion...And never mind the slag, "Made in Luna"  or
"Assembled in Space from parts imported from Luna" is not as far away as you  think
for some products.  Earth and the human ADVENTUROUS spirit especially  when a
buck is to be made, is too finite to believe anything less...

En un mensaje con fecha 05/15/2005 12:52:19 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
mqfowler at mac.com escribe:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:03:53 -0700, "Adam  Hupe" <raremeteorites at
> comcast.net> wrote:
>
>  >That's ridiculous, Lunar material brought back from the moon would
>  baseline
> >at more than $5,000.00 a gram. Anything less is not  feasible because
> the
> >costs are tremendous and have already  been calculated.
>
> Adam

One should be very careful about  making dogmatic statements about what
will never be technically or  financially possible in the future!  Quite
possibly 100 years in the  future, the cost of a package to or form the
moon may be little more in  comparison to our income then, than the cost
of getting one banana from  Ecuador to the USA was in comparison to the
income of Americans 150 years  ago.  I've observed in my lifetime that
the optimists have always been  more right than the pessimists!

> Oh, maybe in the near future  (I just used the 20 year figure because
> that is what the  original
> poster used) but I refuse to believe that, for an established  lunar
> mining colony launching material
> from the surface of the  moon under the Moon's 1/6th g using lunar
> construction materials and  lunar
> fuel, the price will always be in the thousands of dollars per  gram
> range.  I'm not talking about a
> simple sample return  mission, here.
>
> Darren

Read Heinleins " The Moon is a  Harsh Mistress"  a classic SF story in
which a rail gun catapult plays  a crucial part.

Certainly, if we have a lunar colony and there is enough  commerce to
justify such a rail gun, the cost of transport from the moon to  earth
will be reduced by more than a factor of 1000.  Even before then,
colonists, astronauts, scientists, or tourists will have a personal
allowance of one or two kilos for personal effects.  Who's to say that
they won't  choose to leave behind their underwear, toothpaste, shaving
cream etc. and use their personal allowance to bring back moon rocks
instead.  I would.

After the 20? or so specimens have been found  in Dhofar (such a small
region) who is to say how many more my turn up  elsewhere.  The 13.5
kilo  one from the Kalahari may be the tip of  the iceberg.

A maxim of warfare is to ask not what is the intentions of  your enemy
but rather what are his capabilities.  NASA may have no  intention of
ever selling those moon rocks, but they are there, and it could  happen.