[meteorite-list] Did Life Arrive Before the Solar System EvenFormed?

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed May 4 18:52:23 EDT 2005

Hola Bah-humbug Mark, List, and happy Cinco de  Mayo holiday celebration
weekend...when untrained, underarmed and outnumbered  Mexicans irregulars sent the
imperialistic trained French army packing from the  Puebla Fort (And three
years later sent Maximilian to the Mexican Firing  squad-if you go to Mexico
City, you can see his shirt pumped fill of bullets),  since everyone seems to be
in such a fighting mood...on to Panspermian  Theory:

On this list no one-not even a theory- gets no respect no  more.  Mark, it is
a good theory! you can use the delete button if you  don't like it, but it
won't go away:)...if you don't believe me we can try to  raise some monies for a
one-way ticket to Piedmont, Arizona for you, to see the  town doctor...

Panspermia is quite a colorful name I think.  Pan-  recalls the Greeks...I
bet the theory's name really does date back to the  ancient Greeks like the
brilliant Anaxagoras.  Perhaps he got the idea from  when the legendary Uranus
envying Saturn (one of the Titanes Theoi = STRAINER,  though not quirte as in
"Andromeda Strain"), chopped off  his Dad's testes  and scattered them about
giving rise to life of all kinds on a fertile  Earth?  Uranus was identified with
the sky, by the way and his wife the  fertile Earth.  His seed in the severed
organ made it intact according to  legend...which is thousand of years
old...so I expect Panspermia will be a  viable theory full of life, long after you
are gone!  Truly a Pancultural  theory...And Saturn was the first documented
case of well that sort of envy that  has enveloped the list as of late.
Mark how dare you insult the  gods!
Saludos, Doug
PS, The Greeks were too interested in where Uranus nor  his seed came from,
either...amazing how little the theory has been altered  through the ages...

En un mensaje con fecha 05/04/2005 4:45:17 PM Mexico  Daylight Time,
m.fries at gl.ciw.edu escribe:
Howdy

I don't  like panspermia; not even a little bit.  It does nothing to
answer the  question of where and how life started in the universe.  All
it does is  add a few million to billions of years of travel in the
cold, dry,  radiation-hard vacuum of space to the journey.  That, plus
you've got to  crush/heat it in a violent, solar-system-ejecting imact
and then crush/heat  it again on the recieving end.  Even if you shorten
that journey to a  trans-planetary scale you've still done nothing to
answer any questions about  how it originated, and you're still dealing
with several physical processes  that each alone have the power of
sterilization.  And at the end of all  of THAT, you've still dropped any
surviving (not bloody likely) microbes into  a foreign environment that
they're not adapted to!  You can hang "litho"  or "nano" or freakin'
"nuclear-powered" or anything you want to onto the  front of
"panspermia" and it's still useless as a theory.  How annoying  that it
still crops up from time to time...

Bah  humbug,
MDF