[meteorite-list] RE: Meteorite Talk/Program Topics

Michael Gallant miga at metrocast.net
Sat Mar 19 12:07:27 EST 2005

Hi Al, and All,

Your ideas for list discussion are wonderful. Matter of fact, these were
the very topics I had hoped for when I joined the list several years
ago. I kept "hanging in there" hoping the bad seeds would go away and
leave a comfortable forum to promote and foster our fascinating hobby. I
guess to some degree that has happened.

A few years ago, my wife (teacher) conned me into doing my wacky science
wizard and meteorite dude act for her students and well, I guess, it was
pretty good as have been doing it ever since. “Giveaways” like a few
dozen copies of Roman’s donated 2003 Millennium calendar and small NWA’s
certainly didn’t hurt either ;>)…. (thanks again Roman!). Obviously, I
get a hoot out of it too!

Interesting note. From an elementary teacher’s point of view, many
elementary teachers tend to dread teaching science. Technology /
discoveries tends to out pace the textbooks making the teachers feel
somewhat uncomfortable. As a result, many teachers will welcome (in some
cases pleading!!) for “experts” into the classrooms.

To trade ideas for quality presentations, demonstration aids and other
"wow" factors (audiences of all ages) would be great! This sure is a
different approach than when I was in school, as I remember sitting
though those boring physics movies of the oscillating white ball against
the black background with that monotone narration... I’m absolutely
convinced that a physicist discovered hypnosis!!

I really hope the “silent” list folk will be more willing to come forth
and offer their experience in the education of our future space rock
caretakers.

Best wishes,
Mike