[meteorite-list] Gilligan's Island Meteorite Answer

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 18:52:12 EDT 2005

Mark B. wrote:

Answer: False  Cosmic  rays in meteorites, a form of radiation, is far too
weak to be of
danger to  anyone.  It is however possible that high expose to cosmic rays
could  be of danger.

Hello, The above itself is FALSE, with  the precautionary note that I am NOT
picking on its author in my favorite  public discussion forum.  The Professor
would have been better off looking  for cosmic rays in the pearls and jewels
of Ginger's intimate wardrobe,  because:

For a good rundown of the energy of cosmic "rays", don't miss  the Fantastic
Four movie which should be premiering in 1st string countries any  day now.
Even Dr. Richards underestimated the energy of the cosmic  "rays".  Shame, he
should have put some simple magnetic deflection shields  on the ship, since
cosmic "rays", unlike what we mean by regular "radiation",  are principally
charged particles (with neutrons, etc., I guess, ok) and become  significantly
deflected by magnetic fields.  That is why relatively few  reach the Earth -
thanks to the magnetic field orientation in our "iron core",  in addition to the
Solar wind sweeping them out into interplanetary space -  since the Solar wind
is just a stream of charge particles suitable for  interation as well.

Note, Cosmic "rays" are NOT a form of  radiation in the electromagnetic
sense.  The confusion with radiation gets  worse when one considers that collisions
of cosmic "rays" with other molecules,  atoms, and particles can release true
radiation in the form of the most powerful  radiation: gamma radiation and
subatomic particles from what they collide with  like muons...
Cosmic "rays" are typically nuclear particles, simply going  soooooo fast
after probable ejection from supernovas elsewhere, that each "ray"  a.k.a.
particle, packs a tremendous whallop.  The most powerful cosmic  "ray" on record, I
believe, (might be a proton or probably a nucleus of  something larger) with
the same energy as pitched 100 mph (160 km/hr) fastball  (baseball)!  That an
object like a meteorite be a source of Cosmic rays is  sillyness.  While it may
have been exposed to cosmic rays in space,  particles going this fast will
likely be about as far away as Mars by the time  the meteorite hits the ground,
and travel for another 5,000,000 years maybe  before the next event happens to
it.  The typical speed of these babies is  50% to ever so slightly less than
100% the speed of light.  That explains  the scalp scratching question of how
a baseball's energy can be packed into one  little proton!

And regarding the test for "Cosmic Ray Age" age of a  meteorite, any
reasonable scientifically inclined meteoritical type worth his  water should be able
to relate that cosmic "ray" determinations assume cosmic  "ray" bombardment
until arrival at earth, when it mostly stops instantly, due to  earth's
shielding.  What is measured is the resulting isotopes produced by  cosmic ray particle
collisions in the "interstellar" (or approximated by  interplanetary) medium.
 In other words heavy atomic fragment called heavy  helium 3 suddenly appears
after a collision altered a larger particle.  And  of course some radiation
to balance the energy was released to maintain an  energy balance...and if the
residual happens to be still radioactive, well then  you have a new radiation
source, but it most certainly isn't a cosmic  "ray",,,
Damn transporter, beam me up, Doug