[meteorite-list] Omani meteorite museum

Metorman46 at aol.com Metorman46 at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 13:11:43 EDT 2005

Hello List;

  I have been reading the posts to the list with much curiosity.There  was a
post that stated Meteorite hunting isn't a priority YET..But i think it is
and will become a higher priority in the desert countries,that is to stop what
the american university researchers and desert governments,consider
SMUGGLING.The governments of these countries see an asset for tourist business  in
meteorite museums.The researchers see a good supply of rare meteorites for  study
and their own personal collections.
  I read an article in our local newspaper regarding the fact that  Larry
Taylor from the University of Tennessee was to go to Oman to assist in  research
for a meteorite museum in Oman.and in the article it was mentioned that  Oman
wanted to stop smuggling of meteorites by other nationalities.So,i guess
anyone going to the desert countries should expect the same treatment John and
company received from Oman and probably a lot worse.I didn't read any mention of
 automatic weapons involved in their experience.I'm glad of that.But
others"WILL  HAVE THEM"and probably american made.Cherish those NWA'S.When the world
reads  John's website,they will be savvy on the matter of meteorite hunting.
  I don't mean any detriment to anyone with this e-mail,if anyone  takes
offense"i'm sorry"said ahead of time.Meteorite collecting is a great and  fun
hobby.Not to mention very educational.But money,prestige and greed always  seems
to follow something so precious and rare.I guess everyone will have to be
cautious and keep their ears to the ground for the changes that are a  coming.

Thank you for your time,and i love to read all your posts.Good luck
Meteorite collecting.

Herman Archer.