[meteorite-list] Re: Ad books- Something old & something new

meteoriteplaya at comcast.net meteoriteplaya at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 11:33:31 EDT 2005

Hi All
I have an offer of something old and something new.
First "the old" is two copies of Our Stone Pelted Planet by H. H.
Nininger. It is of course his first book and was published in 1933.
This is one of the hardest books to find of his in any condition.
COPY ONE No DJ with some ex-library stamps. Stamps removed almost
completely from spine though minor signs remain. Pocket was removed
from front inside cover almost completely cusing some minor damage.
It was pasted over another sticker that remains. Date to return slip
was also removed from adjoining page. Also has stamp to bottom edge
of book as well as to last page. The description of the book from DJ
is glued to back inside cover. Also some wear to top edge of spine.
Some uncut pages were ripped. I still call this book in VG condition
as the binding is very tight. Usually sells for $225+. Special price
of only $200 + shipping.
COPY TWO  No DJ and spine printing is weak & faded. No signs of wear.
Book is yellowed and shows signs of foxing. Still in VG+ condition.
Signed with inscription "Jan. 16, 1939 To Dr. John S. Nollen, Pres.
For whatever assistance it may be in the education of American Youth,
this volume is presented by the author Sincerely H. H. Nininger.
For a scan of the inscription (you will have to log into Yahoo for this one or I can send you the image if you want:
meteorites/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=OSPPNininger.jpg&.view=t&.done=http
%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jensen-meteorites/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
26.src=gr%26.view=t
I did a little research on Dr Nollen:
John Scholte Nollen (1869-1952), taught at Grinnell College as a
professor of modern languages from 1893-1902.  He returned Grinnell
College to serve as Dean from 1920-31 and then as President from 1932-
1940. The book was signed to him on Jan. 16, 1939 while he was the
president of the college. Not sure how Nininger had a connection to
him.
Usually I would sell this for $325+ but as a special I'll offer for
sale at $300 + shipping.
The "new offer" is a paperback book on Tektites with 288 pages and
was produced in 2001. It was originally published at $125. I have
included a description of the book below. Cost will be only $85 plus
shipping. The books are on order and I only have one extra copy. So please let me know if you want this one as soon as possible.
G J H McCall "Tektites in the Geological Record: Showers from the Sky"
This book commences with the history of tektites, from mediaeval
China, through finds in Czechoslovakia in the eighteenth century and
Darwin's description while on the Beagle, to twentieth century finds
in SE Asia, the Ivory Coast and USA. The four major strewn fields are
described, followed by there extension by deep sea finds of
microtektites and the recognition of irregular, large layered
tektites in SE Asia. Possibly related occurrences in Libya and
Tasmania and in older rock systems than the Cenozoic formations of
the four strewn fields (including Cretaceous–Tertiary boundary
formations) are also covered. Tektites are related to a few of the
150 known terrestrial impact studies. This book will appeal to
scientists working in the broad field of meteorites and geologists,
as well as astronomers and planetologists. Suitable for use as
supporting reading for tertiary courses.

Mike

--
Mike Jensen IMCA 4264
Jensen Meteorites