[meteorite-list] A statement in regards to NWA 3133

David Weir dgweir at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 19:03:50 EDT 2005

So, this seems to me to possibly represent a case of a heterogeneous
layer of a common asteroid, with one area having experienced more
intense heating with accompanying partial melting (NWA 3133 = PAC),
while an adjacent area experienced only enough heat to produce the
properties of a metamorphic grade 7 (NWA 1839). I believe the Portales
Valley meteorite may exhibit a similar disproportionate heating event,
and a similar dichotomy in classification - H7 vs PAC/or impact melt,
depending on which section one studies.

David