[meteorite-list] Mars life concerns

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 19 13:29:34 EDT 2005

> 1. What you seemed to be emphasizing in your first post was the  probability
> that the astronauts contaminated specifically the (apparently  virgin) part of
> the camera insulation during there journey back to earth.

To me, the most likely point of contamination occurred when the camera
was brought into the Apollo capsule.  There would be ingassing into the
camera when it was brought in from the vacuum of space.  The fact that the
camera wasn't in a sealed container for 5 days after that didn't help
either.  I can't ruled out a laboratory breach as Jaffe noted, either, but
I think the more likely cause was the camera being exposed to the air
within the Apollo capsule.

Ron Baalke