[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky..Answer

Paul H bristolia at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 14:02:05 EDT 2005

on July 18, 2005, Marcin quoted from previous post:

Marcin wrote:

>Jeff, list...
>After this photos I think noone can have any
>doubts if this is natural or man-made product.
> Http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/shiro1.jpg
> Http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/shiro2.jpg
> Http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/shiro3.jpg
> Http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/shiro4.jpg
> Http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/close-up.jpg
>
>Grey surface is iron that become mat after
>etching in normal 10% solution. No any
>visible etching pattern. White squares is as I
>belive not dissolved nickel pieces that fall
>down to bottom and not have time to
>disolve in iron-olivine solution.

After I forwarded pictures of non-etched
slices of Shirokovsky and compositional data
concerning the lithic fragments found in its
iron-nickel matrix  to a metallurgist friend,
who prefers to remain nameless, I received
this comment:

"Based on the information given I would
concur that this is a man-made material,
probably derived from a furnace and quite
possibly part of a furnace lining, i.e. a
refractory brick that has been strongly
altered by reaction with the molten contents
of the furnace. This is supported by the
very iron-rich composition of the olivine
and the presence of magnesiowustite and
magnesioferrite. This conclusion is also
supported by the reported "eutectic" nature
of the metal-oxide intergrowth."

Best Regards,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA