[meteorite-list] Fall Patterns (& Latest Canadian Meteorite Find)

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 20:30:23 EDT 2005

So, basically with Chris' project recoveries are just meteor icing on the
cake, arguably free and piggybacked on a related effort.  Chris, I predict  you
will take up meteorite collecting the moment any recovery is made, and I  hope
you get a piece of the meteorite (at any price) for which you probably will
be the lucky and few earthlings to calculate its orbit for the first  time.

Steve #1 brings up some good points which basically relate to a  faulty
scientific method (which makes you a little bit of a <whouuuuu!>  scientist
<yikes!!>, in my view).  Sometimes not finding data is  data, though...despite the
clearly funny stuff going on in Rajastan (where I  assume English IS the
official language.), and the newspaper article was very  comical.

I would be very interested (and I am sure Sterling would also) to know the
coverage Chris considers his sky-eye network to have had during the operating
interval, to put into apples-apples meteorite fall flux comparisons.   Chris,
what is a corresponding fair land area based on your aperature (i.e.,
"coverage"), and corresponding interval of time we can say for which meteors  left no
meteorites there that you have detected ?

Saludos, Doug
equally impressed by academic efforts as well as those of private industry
no matter how dividends are paid...(though against wasting taxpayer money
anywhere)...

Chris P. wrote:
Well, I would never try to calculate a  cost per gram to recover a meteorite.
But then, I'm not a collector  <g>. The scientific value of a fresh fall that
can be tied to a known  orbit is substantial, and largely independent of the
type of  meteorite.

I can tell you that our current camera network uses  inexpensive equipment,
and is operated by volunteers. Likewise, when we have  an interesting
fireball, the ground search is carried out by volunteers. So  when we get a
recovery, it will be cheap by your terms. And in the meantime,  this
inexpensive network is generating volumes of great data on meteors,  their
atmospheric dynamics, and in some cases their parent  orbits.

Chris