[meteorite-list] Help, your opinion needed

jwb7772 at netzero.net jwb7772 at netzero.net
Fri Jul 8 23:14:35 EDT 2005

In 1957 I witnessed a fireball come down from the very start(I was looking in the right place) to it's finish.  In fact it came so close I thaught it might hit me, but it slightly arked up and flew over head at about 50 feet between me and a telephone poll, droping multi colored teardrops behind it.  It skimed the tree tops two blocks away and landed.  It was the most AWSUM thing I have ever seen, at that time.  Well some years later I searched the area and found what looked like a cinder rock.  It was all burned and even had a yellow-green crust in spots.  It was not magnetic but was quite heavy.  So I kepted it all of these years thinking it was not a meteorite.
     Well today I cut it open to find bright metal, looks like nickel, and a few white clats (moon type?)
     So maybe it could me a meteorite.  I also thought impactasite, but from whare?  It has mostly a gray color and sections are of a olive drab green color and look quite glassy.  And in the holes there seems to been a green glassy shine.  If anyone has any idea as to what it sounds like please let me know your thoughts.  If anyone is interested enough I would be happy to send you a few pictures.  Thanks Jim