[meteorite-list] Deep Impact

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue Jul 5 20:07:01 EDT 2005

>I wrote:

>> NASA reports have visual confirmation via downloaded data  of  impact
>> just 5 minutes after the officially confirmed impact at  52 minutes after
>> the hour.   The light needs close to 7 minutes 26  seconds to get to  JPL.
>> Was impact really earlier or have I missed something?
>> This is important for backyard amateurs to know who followed  the event.

Ron Kindly Answered:

>Both times are in Earth-Receive time, which means it already  includes
>the one-way light time.  The impact occurred at 10:52 PM PDT ERT,
>which we could tell when we lost the signal from the impactor. Of  course,
>the impact really occurred 7+ minutes before that, but it took that  long
for
>the signal to reach Earth.  Five minutes later at 10:57 PM PDT  ERT, we
>received the first image from the flyby spacecraft confirming the  impact.

It is nice to know that impact actually happened at 10:45 PM PDT.   Thank you
very much for that clarification, Ron.  Somehow I never saw PDT  ERT's used
anywhere in the press, or on the official websites anywhere.  So  now I have
the embarrassing task of explaining to all the folks I brought out at  night
that in fact, impact light would not reach us at 11:00:00 PM PDT as I so  car
efully and foolishly explained, and that when we held our breaths and said a  few
words at impact time, that it was already 7.4 minutes past... Oh well, now I
have to take my licks on this one.    I lost almost 2 degrees of  important
elevation (15 vs. 17 degree alt)-not thatit would have mattered it  turned out-,
and my armtwisted wary team an extra 8 minutes of sleep (that  mattered to
them)....Yes I now see that on the Deep Impact Website that is  prominently
hidden in the table of highlights. :-(
Doug