[meteorite-list] Deep Impact from Earth

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 15:45:28 EDT 2005

Darren G. wrote:
>Any word yet on wherther  Earth based "mere mortal" back-yard
>telescope observers were able to make  out any sign of the impact?

Hola Darren,

Luck was pretty  bad for most in the Americas due to cloudcover and being low
onthe  horizon.  Down here in Northeast Mexico it was an obligatory futility
that none-the-less was great fun to participate in, with a 15 degree above
the  horizon impact (I had my 16X binoculars:-)).  It looks like a backyard
astronomer needed a 10-12" Dobsonian or so for a decent chance in the Southern
portion Pacific US time zone.  Reports that the comet it was so diffuse at
around 11 magnitude, that it couldn't  be seen even when 12th magnitude  stars
were discernable.  But that right after the impact, it in fact  "appeared" like
magic with averted vision, comments of a 1.5 or 2.0 magnitudes  before and
after in the two hours.

The Hubble images showed that the  tektites produced were racing out at 1800
km/hr, and there are hopes of  something better tonight as it expanded, though
I haven't seen any reports  posted from Asia, and it is a little discouraging
from what Rosetta said  according to Sky and Telescope: That they saw the 2
magnitude increase, but then  it was losing a two-thirds of the increase within
a five hours.

So not so  great a forecast on one hand, but that I'm sure won't stop the
legions of us who  hope to get lucky tonight...
Saludos, Doug