[meteorite-list] Meteorite On Mars....Congrats NASA

Darren Garrison cynapse at charter.net
Thu Jan 20 17:40:02 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:32:13 -0600, "MARK BOSTICK" <thebigcollector at msn.com> wrote:

>concentration fairly accurately. Actually this is the second meteorite found
>on the mission. The first one was the rock that had identical chemical
>composition to EETA79001."

Hey, waitaminute!  I just did a search on EETA79001 because none of the other articles on the Heat
Sheild iron have mentioned this other meteorite, and EETA79001 is a Martian meteorite!

http://www-curator.jsc.nasa.gov/curator/antmet/marsmets/eeta79001/sample.htm

Now, unless there is a typo in the specimen number, how can a Martian rock ON MARS be concidered to
be a meteorite?  (If that's the case, I think I'll eBay a lot of Earth found Earth meteorites).