[meteorite-list] Mars Rover's Meteorite Discovery Triggers Questions

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 15:01:37 EST 2005

Hola Rob, I think I actually did this about a  year ago on this meteorite
list (or meteor obs?).  I recall thinking about  Cabin Creek at the time, not too
far off for comparison now, from what I can  see.  I recall it was between
once and twice the speed of sound at impact,  and I recall thinking it was
ball-park similar to falling on the peak of Mt.  Everest regarding ablation and
atmospheric phenomenon...We also discussed at the  time the range of sizes of
stone and iron meteorites that could successfully  survive atmospheric passage.
I believe the 1 to 10 meter range was the  maximum figure...Saludos., Doug

Rob Matson wrote:
En un mensaje con  fecha 01/20/2005 12:40:55 PM Mexico Standard Time,
ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com  escribe:

If I can find (or someone can provide) standard atmospheric  profile data for
Mars, I can estimate the minimum impact velocities and ablation  percentages
for preatmospheric iron meteorites
of various masses assuming  grazing incidence and an initial cosmic velocity
equal to Martian escape  velocity.  The actual impact velocity for the "Heat
Shield Rock" will  certainly be higher, but at least we'll have a ballpark idea
of the minimum  impact velocity.