[meteorite-list] LANL: Meteor Could Cause Big Tsunami

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 12 14:07:53 EST 2005

No argument that we should have tsunami monitoring systems in every ocean.
And such systems might even provide data about ocean impacts that happen
fairly often and are sub-tsunami producers.

BTW, the last estimate I read suggested that the actual plate movement for
the Indian Ocean event may have involved a vertical shift of 8 meters over
an area 1000 km long by 100-200 km wide. That is a massive volume of water,
and in terms of energy alone is much greater than that produced by a
mid-velocity, 1 km diameter impactor. And the earthquake coupled 100% of its
energy into the water, whereas an impactor would couple only a small
percentage.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory