[meteorite-list] LANL: Meteor Could Cause Big Tsunami

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 10:22:14 EST 2005

En un mensaje con fecha 01/10/2005 9:45:52 PM Mexico Standard Time,
kelly at bhil.com escribe:

>You could stand on the highest point in Florida (near Micanopi) and  watch
>it roll right over you (if you were anchored in concrete) hundreds  of feet
above.
>Can we persuade Sue to go there and report on it if it  happens?

Micanopy, a very quaint town with a few rolling hills, is south  of
Gainsville going towards Ocala basically in Central Florida----but the  highest point
in Florida is north of Ft. Walton Beach (closer to  Pensacola in the extreme
west and north, and a skip from Alabama) 345 feet above  normal sea level.

The Tsunami would have to completely roll over Penninsular (East) Florida
and half way across the panhandle (West Florida) to cover the highest point in
Florida.  It would probably take another hit to the Gulf to do that with
confidence.  But your original point, is still, of course, right, in that a  half
miler surviving and impacting in the Atlantic would be best observed  from the
top of Space Mountain in DisneyWorld if the Singing Citrus tower were  sold
out to house a certain listmember's meteorite collection:)
Saludos, Doug