[meteorite-list] OT: cubes and their history? Contest with Prize!!!

Eduardo. rockhoundm at abaconet.com.ar
Mon Feb 21 06:31:26 EST 2005

Hi Dirk and list
I have in my collection two Nantan specimens with cubic crystals of
Magnetite (I make an x-ray diffraction on them so I'm 100% sure)
I had a 300g specimen in my collection for about 7 years, one day after
about 2 years, I picked it up and it split in two!, in the fracture,
almost 50% of the new surface was covered by very sharp cubic
microcristals, some of them somewhat iridiscent. I gave a sample to a
friend who made the XRD and confirmed it was magnetite.
About 2 - 3 years ago at Tucson show a chinese dealer was selling very
rusted nantan specimens, I checked em all and one of the pieces had lots
of those cristals on the shale.
I don't know if this count for you as they are not in the meteorite
itself but in the rusted shale part. But as I consider Hoba shale, and
Santa Catharina as meteorites then for me this are cubic crystals in a
meteorite.
Eduardo