[meteorite-list] OK -So, What, Where, When and How?

Pete Pete rsvp321 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 18 22:45:35 EST 2005

Definitely "undercover"! ;]

From: "Gary K. Foote" <gary at webbers.com>
To: dfreeman <dfreeman at fascination.com>
CC: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] OK -So, What, Where, When and How?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:44:18 -0500

Me?  LEO?  Not a chance.  Just a newbie with a direct nature.  Thanks for
all you
offered.  It'll help me avoid a lot of mis-steps.

It's sad that such a scientific endeavor has to follow so many rules in the
pursuit of
knowledge.  Must be the dealer mentality.  I'm just a new 'collector'
interested in
avoiding reinventing the wheel.

Here's a pic of me with some friends.  I'm next to last from the left with
the grey
beard.  That's my wife CJ just to my left.  Tell me if I look like LEO to
you :)

http://www.newenglandbikers.com/images/brothers-in-bristol.jpg

Best,

Gary

On 18 Dec 2005 at 18:33, dfreeman wrote:

 > Dear List;
 > What the heck, I'll give it a try!
 > Best spots to find a new find is where there are no or very few
 > terrestrial rocks now on the surface. Try areas of sand dunes, farm
 > fields of Kansas (where there aren't many earth rocks on the surface.
 >  Areas of erosion surfaces are best in any areas as depositional areas
 > will bury your potential finds even deeper.
 > Best strewnfields....Franconia, Gold basin come to mind first.
 > I like my GM-3 Whites but there are a number of pretty good models.
 >  Prerequisite, spend more than $200, do not waste money on Radioshack
 > junk.  Magnets are nice if mounted on a stick. One can touch the
 > suspected meteorite while it is on the ground instead of picking up
 > millions of pieces of meteorwrongs. Always take a second look at all
 > rocks with the appearance of fusion crust even if they aren't magnetic
 > (Yahoo! Dave uses old knowledge to properly use the term magnetic).  My
 > favorite tool are my eyes. I can see much more easily than I can swing a
 > detector all day. I can cover 20 times the area in this method. I am
 > speaking of cold hunting, not the middle of an active strewnfield here.
 > Any techniques I have invented are soon to be patented, sorry.
 > Avoid at all costs....hunting on private property with out permission of
 > the owner. Court costs, bail, forfiture of any found meteorites and
 > possibly loosing your vehichle and equiptment come to mind.  That and
 > lead poisoning.
 >
 > By asking so many questions, are you an officer of the law, or a
 > government official??????
 > It might be more helpful for you to read the list archives rather than
 > play 40 questions maybe.....
 > DF
 >
 > Gary K. Foote wrote:
 >
 > >This might be a silly batch of questions regarding meteorite hunting.
Y'all might feel
 > >proprietary about your personal hunting grounds, methods, etc.,  and
I'll understand if