[meteorite-list] Meteorite finder list

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 16:40:06 EST 2005

Rob M. writes:

>Of course, any such list that I can compile will be very  incomplete
>since some of the most prolific finders are nameless nomads  from
>Northwest Africa, the dozens of Antarctic finders working as  teams,
>and anonymous hunters searching in Libya, Egypt, Oman and other  hot
>desert locations

Hola Rob, Not to mention the dust bowl unlucky farmers during the great
depression that were inspired by Nininger!  Would his actual finds really  number
more than 10 in his over a half century of hunting, and wouldn't most be  in
the book due to their importance to him as actually tracking the first piece
down an picking up the very first piece in the field?  I bet you may  have
actually found more than him...I assume the offering money and advertising  in the
papers, doing lectures and other promotion, nor going to strewn  fields
behind someone else doesn't count...

My respects to H. H., he was the greatest at what he did!  I  completely
agree with you on the credit that should be given that goes  unrecognized in the
areas you mention.  Sorry, but while the Antarctic  teams and the "nomads", and
other enterprising individuals have my deepest  respect and great admiration
for their successes, there is a big chasm between  triangulating falls and
sifting through sand and snow, though each of those  activities definitely has
its ticklish and consuming science.  Neverthless,  there is something about the
"under-our-noses" contrarian initiative and varied  landscape of Nininger's
recoveries that I am betting you and most others would  agree set him apart.  It
is a quite very difficult "to put  the finger on" reason, but you know it
when you see it.
Saludos, Doug