[meteorite-list] New Find

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 23:45:34 EST 2005

John, Wow, another oriented metal meteorite, too  bad it wasn't as big as
Steve's!  Best thing to do is not to count your  chickens before they hatch,
though, nor put the cart before the horse.   Find out when these guys have office
hours at UCLA and bring your potential  treasure to show  them:

http://www.ess.ucla.edu/researchers/rubin/index.asp
http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/wasson/

If  they have a moment to offer you, you will be in some of the best hands in
the  science, as academic institutions are the only definitive places to get
you  meteorite authenticated and CLASSIFIED, and it just so happens a lot of
the book  on classifications of irons was written at UCLA.  If not, there are
plenty  of experts that can authenticate meteorites in your area, or dealers in
the  stuff that at least give you some pointers:
(www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com if  you are in San Diego), try Michael and see if he likes it.  He gets
lots of  inquiries on this stuff.

Once it is authenticated, then come back and ask  about everything else and
there will be plenty of people helping you.  If  you want take a digital photo
now and post us a link, or mail it to me and  everyone else who wants and we
can look at it and see what we make of it.   While it is usually difficult for
rusted chunks of metal by image, certain  morphology (shapes) on the iron cou
ld be pretty convincing to list  members...

Best of luck and please let us know!
Saludos,  Doug

John wrote:
It looks like I may have an oriented Iron  4-5  pound class.

In SoCal.....wondering how best to maximize the  value and  the procedures to
take.

Should I get a slice taken  and the specs on that  operation....and send to a
college for ID and  type?  And then try to  market?

Or simply try to find a  collector who may want to buy it?

Thank you for any  suggestions.

John