[meteorite-list] Sahara 99555, a "Rosetta Stone"!

luc Meteorites.tv / Labenne Luc labennemeteorites at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 06:23:36 EDT 2005

Hi List,

A very important new paper on our angrite SAH99555 (Sahara 99555, a 2710g
single stone with black fusion crust found by our team in May 1999) was
published in the last issue of the scientific journal Nature. In the words
of co-authors Joel Baker, Director of Geology School of Earth Sciences,
University of Wellington, NEW ZEALAND, and Martin Bizarro, Leader, MC-ICP-MS
Laboratory, University of Copenhagen, DENMARK : “Your angrite meteorite find
SAH9955 is now the oldest absolutely dated igneous rock in the Solar System,
has clear evidence for the former presence of short-lived 26Al in it (which
caused planetesimal melting), and very likely will become the "Rosetta
Stone" for early Solar System chronology”

Baker and Bizzarro are now able to show that achondrite planetesimals formed
before chondrite planetesimals.

More on the following link http://www.meteorites.tv/contents/en-us/d70.html

Note that we have added some pieces of the Sahara 99555 for sale on this
page.

Luc

Labenne Meteorites
Meteorites for Science, Education & Collectors
http://www.meteorites.tv