[meteorite-list] Dhofar 025 Real or Phony

Don Merchant dmerchan at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 26 21:40:39 EDT 2005

Hi List.
I know we talked about this around 8 months ago. Several collectors
purchased a Lunar meteorite named Dhofar 025 from an ebay seller named
floridacoaster. There was no COA and I was told by floridacoaster that her
husband- (passed away and Dhofar 025 was in his meteorite collection she was
selling with help from her son) -bought Dhofar 025 back in February 2002
from a dealer on ebay. These pieces that were sold by floridacoaster were
all fragments. Last I heard was Dhofar 025 was never sold in fragments but
only in slices. There are some of you out there that purchased Dhofar 025
from floridacoaster. Has any one had it checked out by a lab? Can anyone out
there set the record straight. I my self was caught up in buying a fragment
thinking "what if this is the real thing" A neo magnet has no problem
attracting it. It also looks very much like the close up pics of Dhofar 025.
I would be willing to send my specimen out to a trustworthy expert if no has
allready done so. Steve Arnold from Chicago, I know you purchased a piece.
What else have you found out? Thanks Don Merchant---emflocater