[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

Greg Redfern gredfern at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 21:53:18 EDT 2005

In Roman mythology, Pluto (Greek: Hades) is the god of the underworld. The
planet received this name (after many other suggestions) perhaps because
it's so far from the Sun that it is in perpetual darkness and perhaps
because "PL" are the initials of Percival Lowell.

Greg Redfern
NASA JPL Solar System Ambassador
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/index.html
What's Up: The Space Place