[meteorite-list] What to name Planet X (OT)

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 18:15:23 EDT 2005

Hola Rob and list,

Planet X was already named Pluto!  This has  to be at least Planet Y:)  After
considerable thought, I've decided to  nickname the new planet the "Mushroom
Planet".  Likewise, my scientific one  word name shall be Basidium, if
Basidium-X isn't politically correct with the  hyphen.  If others' choose not to
follow, all the better.  My mind is  made up.  The Mushroom Planet was the 10th
planet observed only by a  special filter designed by Mr. Bass - and he knew
where to look back in  1954.

A short explanation:
Canadian-born Californian Eleanor Cameron's  (1912 - 1996) wonderful
children's adventure novel ""The Wonderful Flight to the  Mushroom Planet," and its
sequels in the 1950's captured the excitement of the  discovery of Pluto as she
herself was a teenager, the sudden focus on space  travel in her 40's as she
wrote the books, and the imagination, creativity and  enthusiasm of kids from
the 1950's to at least the late 1960's as they secretly  beat Sputnik and
Mercury years before JFK was president.  Dave - with whom  I could so well identify
(and Cameron's only son in reality) - and his friend  Chuck, with the help of
an enigmatic astronomer who was a first rate engineer,  not to mention their
Uncle's with parts from the junk yard to build the rocket  fulfilled dreams of
a generation at the leading edge of the present  discovery.

By the way Sterling, you have overlooked one little detail.  The  classes' of
planets nomenclature ought to be after the largest member of their  group
(e.g., Terra = Terrestrial Earth is largest; Jupiter = Jovian Jupiter is
largest).  So instead of Plutonian we will have the Xenanians...or some  other
similar periodic table of the elements sounding name.

As  others have pointed out, finding a name for this new Xenanian, or in my
case,  Basidomycetes order (fungi) of planets is difficult.  Perfect!  Fungi
are not plan(e)ts for some and Basidium doesn't have to be a planet, except for
 keyboard-challenged listmembers.  I think I'll just go on naming all the
new discoveries after different fungi (mushrooms, puffballs, smuts, rusts and
toadstools) since they like damp, cool places, low-light environments where
people don't usually venture and frequently are ignorant even exist. That sums
it up, I think.

This naming of modern discoveries with ancient or  medieval dieties is
getting out of hand IMHO, what's next Tlaloc? Krisna? Jesus?  Mohammed?  Gautama?
This IS a name game of a political nature of  sorts, not childsplay by any
means as some would suggest anything to do with a  let's go out and play game.
There is weak scientific classification need,  if that.  That's mostly why it
hasn't been addressed before - not because  the IAU has supplanted popular
language, common sense and Oxford, Noah Webster,  and Random House.  And we are
seeing game-theory and manuvering at its best  by the mostly irrelevant
scientific taxonomic community experts on planets, and  others who have decided that a
new planet is or isn't possible because we either  do or don't allready know
'em all.  As if calling Basidium a planet or not  really is a relevant
scientific question with the menagerie we already have out  there!

Basidium (Xena, tastes great, less filling, you can call me...) is  a planet
if its discoverer wants to call it so (who is more qualified than the  guy
that found it). It can be estimated to have about same surface area as  Russia
and Canada (the two largest countries), added together - and much, much,  much
more than the USA including Alaska.  It is thought to be 56% the  diameter of
Mercury which means it would have about one third the surface area  of Mercury.
 (And a bit over 5% the area of Earth).  Mercury itself is  38% the diameter
of Earth, so drawing the line between Mercury and Earth is much  more logical
and justified than between Mercury and Basidium...

Saludos,  Doug
PS if the discoverer considers Basidium isn't a planet, that is his  right,
too, though it would introduce an inconsistency with Pluto and completely  pull
the lid off the can of worms.

En un mensaje con fecha  08/03/2005 2:28:35 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com  escribe:
Hi All,

How 'bout planet "Bumble", after the term of  endearment for the Abominable
Snow Monster from Rudolph the Red-Nosed  Reindeer?  ;-)  --R