[meteorite-list] CRW

MARSROX at aol.com MARSROX at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 23:02:19 EDT 2005

Guten nacht, Martin (and list members):

I noted your reference on  the m-list to "CRW" - catalogue repository weight.
This is my invention and a  tool to better assess the available universe of
old and/or historic  meteorites when trying to predict value.

It is not difficult to calculate. Just go to Monica's edition of the  Cat of
Mets, find the meteorite you want to know about, and add up all the
repository weights. These weights represent a "snap shot" in time and can be  compared
to the listed gross TKW.

I realize that since that snap shot was "taken," some of that  particular
meteorite's listed institutional material has been traded, lost,  destroyed in
research, etc. But the point is, the public usually presumes value  based on the
TKW.

As an example, consider a historic met that fell in 1790 with a listed  TKW
of 10 kg., public perception will base their buy/sell decisions on that
weight. I suggest that should you add up the CRW and come up with 1 kg,  that figure
better represents reality and should be used when making your own  value
judgment.

Kevin Kichinka