[meteorite-list] Muonionalusta - Displacement Lines

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Thu Apr 14 10:52:56 EDT 2005

Hello Jeff and list,

Re: http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/muonionalusta.html

Jeff noted, "I believe the lines in the piece below are more likely from
some sort of shock event as the pattern matches up like a jigsaw but I'd
very much like to hear more opinions from others."

Interesting photographs.  I think you are more accurate with the
displacement comment, rather then shock, although others likely know more.
Clearly you slice shows some shifting in the matrix.   So I guess I have to
wonder, can you have shifting without shock?  I would think you can, as iron
is very dense and the shocked parts on a meteorite are generally
centralized. Often half of one slice is shocked and the other half is not.
Shock, however, at least to me, usually creates a ghostly like imagine.
Think of it as a melting of the crystals.

Also of note on your slice, is that it appears to me to have been cut at
about a 40 degree angle from how the crystals formed.

Shocked Canyon Diablo

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colcanyondiablorim.html

Shocked Gibeon

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colgibeon.html