[meteorite-list] Interesting Meteorite Science Article

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 4 22:42:51 EDT 2005

I don't believe there is any way a ring system could be stable in a binary
planet system (which is really what the Earth/Moon is). Theories of ring
system formation seem to require a fairly large system of moons to capture
and shepherd debris.

Also, the effects of even a sparse ring system probably would not have gone
unnoticed given all the satellites in orbit- particularly geostationary
ones.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory