[meteorite-list] Re: Campos Sales

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 16:03:28 EDT 2004

Ola List,

While Senhor Steve is busy spending his disposible income in
Mexico this week, and being missed by the fan club, which will
leave him much more enthusiastic about trading or otherwise
purging his collection of yesterday's treasures when he gets
back, I had a question not to beat the old horse Campos
Sales...

A while back some excellent directions to Campos Sales were
posted on the list for all who were desperately trying to find
some material from this locality.  I followed those directions
and ended up in a brachish field:

Campos Sales L5
7°2'S, 40°10'W, 31 January 1991, 22:00 Local Time, A meteorite
shower fell in a rural area ~18 km E of the village Campos
Sales found in grainfields around two weeks later.

Question:  I was wondering how specimens from this fall
compare to the Kendrapara H4-5 (formerly "Orissa") from
Kendrapara locality in Orissa, India which fell on 27 Sept.
2003. "Rusting is conspicuous on the broken surface and may be
attributed to the wet environment of fall.", according to the
Meteoritical Society Bulletin for the Indian fall.

As both are Ordinary Chrondrites, and the Kendrapara, Orissa,
India (H4-5) would seem to be similar in that it is a coastal
tropical location, and known for salt water intrusion, just
like the Campos Sales region.  Both are near mangrove
habitats.   Further, the rainy season starts to peak during
the quoted recovery time in Campos Sales, and to boot, Campos
Sales sounds like it means "Salt Fields" in Portuguese.

How stable is most material from Campos Sales, given that
after only 2 weeks at most for recovery, shouldn't all
exhibit "jet" black fusion crusts after such a short time?

Saudades do México, Doug

Bernd 2004-24-10 escribe:
Thomas wrote:

> Campos Sales, not Campo Sales

Anyway, it's all about  s e l l i n g  Campos - *sales* that is ;-)

Best wishes