[meteorite-list] Falls near Sacramento

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Fri Oct 15 03:13:01 EDT 2004

Hi Moni,

> there are two meteorites close to Sacramento, Bruceville (L6) and
> Shingle Springs (Ataxite).  <snip>
> Still hoping for a meteorite to land in my backyard or fall through
> my roof though!  :-)

Another one almost did this past summer:  a little northeast of
Sacramento.  (Actually, northeast of Auburn in the Tahoe National
Forest).  I triangulated the fall location from two All-Sky camera
recordings of the bolide to within an approximately 1 x 3 mile area.
If it had been desert, it would have had a decent chance of being
recovered.  Unfortunately, it was dense forest with significant
elevation changes.  (I spent a couple days up there looking for it.)

Cheers,
Rob