[meteorite-list] RE: Nice Dronino?

tracy latimer daistiho at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 13:49:54 EST 2004

I must have the weirdest environment ever to try to preserve meteorites
in... My 10 g piece of Chinga, which one of the other List members described
as "practically natural stainless steel", has a nice little swathe of rust
across its face.  I will need to clean and treat better than half of my cut
and polished iron specimens, if I wish to prevent rusting; even the usually
remarkably stable Sikhote-Alins in my collection are spalling a bit.  OTOH,
a chip of Dronino which I bought from one of the Russian dealers earlier
this year in Tucson has shown no signs whatsoever of degradation.  My
Nantan, immortalized in verse and posts as being a rustbucket, has shown no
inclination to rust beyond its initial surface scale.

No accounting!

Tracy Latimer