[meteorite-list] NWA's, "Dealers", Science, & NomCom

Michael Gallant miga at metrocast.net
Thu Nov 25 12:38:16 EST 2004

Hello Jeff,

First off, I would like to thank you for all your time and effort you
place into this list.
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that your name is one of several that
prompt one to pause and fully read your posts.

I wonder if you might clarify for me your example (copied below) of NWA
numbering, as this is a very exciting topic. Could one assume a stone
with an NWA number that has no “extension”, might be an example of a
dealer's “best guess”, as it would not reflect a “certified” number?

When a new find is made, would each stone be tested and given a
“certified” incremental “extension” number?

Best wishes,
Mike