[meteorite-list] BCC "Meteorites" [was Milestones] PLEASE READ

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Tue Nov 23 00:31:19 EST 2004

<x-rich><fixed>Jonathan posted:

>  I'm back on the list. What is BCC meteorites about? I have heard a
>lot about it and read their site but I still don't understand. Odd.

Dear Jonathan and Fellow Listees:

Jonathan, yes you are absolutely right. It is very "odd" and nobody
else understands their site either because their site is nonsense.

I would like all my fellow List members to be made aware of something
important: These BCC "Meteorites" characters filed an actual lawsuit
against a number of prominent, respected and very well-liked senior
meteoriticists here in the U.S (one of whom is a personal friend of
mine). The suit was -- of course -- thrown out by the judge for being
utterly frivolous. It's just too bad these clowns weren't heavily
fined for wasting court time.

BCC "Meteorites" seems to believe that there's some kind of
high-level conspiracy/cover-up going on between NASA and major
meteoritical institutions -- all because BCC "Meteorites" have been
told (nicely and repeatedly) that the junk items they dig out of
their bog, or whatever, in Texas are not actually fossilized alien
brains, UFO warp core spare parts, Lunar meteorites, Dick Tracy wrist
watch radios, etc., but just plain old dull terrestrial rocks. I
think we all enjoy a good eccentric, and the whole thing would have
been somewhat amusing in a "Benny Hill" sort of way if these guys
hadn't been really nasty to some really nice people during their
imaginary scientific journey.

We have our squabbles on the List from time to time, but we are all
united in our interest in the SCIENCE of meteoritics. The
technobabble/gobbledygook pseudo-science offered up on the BCC
"Meteorites" website -- and written, I might add, in appalling
elementary school English so laden with spelling errors and
grammatical mistakes that you couldn't follow their argument even if
it *were* sound -- should not be allowed promotion here on the
Meteorite List. Novice collectors, still learning about meteorites,
might be hoodwinked into believing some of the fatuous claims that
are made on the BCC website.

So, I strongly suggest that we -- as a community -- block the email
addresses of these guys DeRusse and Cutler immediately and
permanently. They just want attention, and the best way to eradicate
this kind of fake science rubbish is to ignore the perpetrators
entirely. They'll likely get bored and wander off to some UFO
conspiracy theory/Creationist mailing list of which -- unfortunately
-- there are probably several. A request from a few of you to List
Moderator Art Jones ( listman at meteoritecentral.com ) to have them
removed from the List wouldn't hurt either.

Oh, and BTW, if you look at the first photo on their website, the guy
with the white gloves looks like "Dr. No."   : )

Not at all respectfully,

Geoff Notkin

Science writer interested in actual science and real
meteorites</fixed></x-rich>