[meteorite-list] Soyuz Capsule Flown "Heat Shield"

Nicholas Gessler gessler at ucla.edu
Tue Nov 9 15:18:43 EST 2004

Hi,

I have several of these.  The ablation and flow lines are interesting,
especially in the plugs, and well worth having for comparative
purposes.  However, the flow lines are in a resin coating of the plug
(which is very light weight), not in metal.  Re-entry speeds of artificial
satellites are much lower than those of meteorites so we shouldn't expect
the massive ablation that the latter experience.

I am told that the Chinese simply use wood as a re-entry shield.  Would be
fun to get ahold of some of this.  But how would we know it is authentic?

Cheers,
Nick