[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites, Ice, and Antarctic

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Thu May 6 17:51:52 EDT 2004

Frank posted:

>  Don't remember anyone mentioning this book and am curious if anyone
>has read it yet?

Dear Frank and List:

I read William Cassidy's book late last year. I think List members
will find the early sections fascinating, as Mr. Cassidy describes in
detail the beginnings of the ANSMET program, including a number of
amusing and exciting episodes. There are also some
beautifully-written passages describing the Antarctic landscape.

I found the later sections to be less interesting, as they focus
primarily on research in the lab, classification, and various
scientific theories.

I'm sure some List members will find these sections rewarding, but
personally I really wanted to read an entire book about Cassidy's
adventures on the ice, as he was there almost at the very beginning.

Definitely worth checking out, though.

Regards,

Geoff N.