Re-2: [meteorite-list] Dunite

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Wed May 5 16:58:18 EDT 2004

> Wonder if there is a (largely) dunite parent
> body floating around the asteroid belt?

If they are floating around out there, the most probable
candidates are M.J. Gaffey's S-type asteroids: His S(I)
subtype asteroids have reflectance spectra indicating
a nearly monomineralogic olivine silicate component
(42 Isis, 113 Amalthea, 354 Eleonora ... Oh, those
sweet olivine gals ;-)

Reference:

GAFFEY M.J. et al. (1993) Mineralogical variations
within the S-type asteroid class (Icarus 106, 573-602).

Bernd

To: daistiho at hotmail.com
    dfreeman at fascination.com
Cc: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com